Arts on the Square Spotlight: Meet Amanda Therkorn of Creative, Crafty Gifts

Monday, June 10, 2013
We're so excited to share the work of talented potter Amanda Therkorn of Creative, Crafty Gifts. Her pieces are sure to thrill collectors and casual shoppers alike.  Stop by and talk pottery with her at Arts on the Square.  


Tell us a little about your company and what inspired you to start it
I have been in business for about 2 years now. I mainly sell my goods on etsy and at craft/art fairs. This has been a long time passion of mine, and the idea of doing it as my “job” sounded like pure happiness to me.



How did you learn your craft? Do you have formal training?
I have a bachelor’s degree in Arts and Architecture from Penn State University. I learned much of the craft there, but gained more knowledge from my teacher, Deci, who runs “The Potter’s Wheel” in New Jersey.



What kind of materials do you use to make your work? How long does each piece take to make?
This is such a broad question for me because I make so many different things. If I were mainly to discuss pottery, I use low and high fire clay/glazes. (so, earthenware and stoneware) The time it takes depends on the size and detail of the piece, but every piece needs to go through many days of drying, bisque fire, cooling, glazing, glaze fire, cooling and then it is completed. So, if you wanted a goblet custom made from me, it would take a minimum of 5 days.



How would you describe your style and where do you find inspiration?
I like more gestured pottery and unexpected designs. There is a great artist they call “the mad potter” and I absolutely love his work.

What items will you be featuring at the Arts on the Square festival?
Mostly ceramics, both handbuilt and wheel thrown. I also like to woodburn, paint glass and stones. So, some of those will be included, too.

What is your most popular item?
My mugs and goblets. People also like my large items like pitchers and large lidded jars.


What are your ‘can’t live without’ craft room essentials?
My pin tool and wheel for pottery. For everything else, a fine bristled paintbrush and space to sprawl out!

How do you make your workplace and inspiring place to be?
At the moment I am in the process of moving to my first house, so, I am looking to make my workspace more organized and well lit.



Will you be demonstrating your craft at Arts on the Square? If so, tell us a
little about it.
I am considering it, but a wheel and clay gets very messy, so I will have to bring my woodburner or paint and brushes because I need to be able to stop easily.

Thanks for chatting with us, Amanda!


Find Creative, Crafty Gifts:

Follow Arts on the Square & ScrantonMade:
Facebook:  Arts on the Square and ScrantonMade
Twitter:  ScrantonMade
Instagram: @scrantonmade_blog
Pinterest: ScrantonMade




No comments:

Post a Comment