Arts on the Square Spotlight: Meet Stephanie Darmock of Sew Fierce Boutique

Saturday, June 8, 2013

We're so excited to introduce the talented Stephanie Darmock of Sew Fierce Boutique.  She makes the most fabulously creative clothes for kids and you'll definitely want to stop by and meet her at Arts on the Square

Hi Stephanie!

Tell us a little about your company and what inspired you to start it. 

I am a hyper blogging, business owning, tattoo loving, amateur photographer and a big time foodie.  I am a monster on the sewing machine and a known fabric hoarder. I take my coffee via I.V. drop to keep up with my two fabulous little girls. I am wife and sidekick to an amazing United States Marine and though the military keeps us moving from State to State, I could not love our life more.


My sewing of children’s clothing started out of fun and necessity.  Both my daughters have always been very petite and finding store bought clothing to fit them properly was always (and still is) a chore. While being stationed in VA I met the very best girlfriends who were sewing clothing for their girls. That was my “AHA” moment.  In the past I had made quilts, curtains and other miscellaneous things but never attempted clothing. 
So when my oldest was two years old, my youngest was just a newborn I gave it a shot. I made clothing,  flannel/minky blankets, bibs, crayon roll ups and even a few cloth diapers. I fell in love with sewing and other mommy friends upon seeing the creations became very interested and started requesting items for their children as well. After some soul searching and tons of support from friends and family I officially opened Sew Fierce in June 2008.


I started Sew Fierce with just clothing and have recently this past year branched out to matching fabric flower hair accessories and fabulous chunky necklaces. I sell all my items online, some selected pieces are sold locally at the Willow Tree in Clarks Summit and I showcase new items and take custom orders through my Facebook page.


How did you learn your craft?  Do you have formal training?

I have always been around creative woman. Growing up I watched my mother sew clothing for my Barbie dolls and my neighbor Dee would make my Cabbage Patch doll all her clothing.  In 2001 while planning my recovery for my pending second knee surgery my mother suggested that I should make a quilt with all the down time I would have. Making that quilt through my recovery not only helped keep my spirits up but I fell in love with sewing. I have never had formal training but through the years I have honed my skills with constant reading and research of construction and sewing techniques as well as practice.


What kind of materials do you use to create your designs?  How long does each piece take to make?

I use mostly cotton fabrics in the summer and soft corduroys in the winter time. Depending on the design I could work anywhere from 3 to 7+ hours on just one piece.



How would you describe your style & where do you find inspiration?

I am not sure I have a certain style. I let the fabrics tell me what they will ultimately become. Some patterns are more perfect for dresses; some colors are great for a top and skirt, ect. I try to match the perfect fabric with the perfect design. The fabric should show off the design and the design should show off the fabric. Complete unity.

What items will you be featuring at the Arts on the Square festival?

I will have everything out at the Arts on The Square festival. All my clothing, hair accessories and necklaces will all be on display and ready to sell.



What is your most popular item?

I am not sure there is a “most popular” item. It changes with the seasons and with what my designs are at that time. In general dresses are always a big hit.

What are your can’t live without craft room essentials?

I do not think there is one thing in my craft room I could live without..lol From my machine’s, hot iron, rotary cutter, right even down to my stick pins; if I took away even one item I could not do what I do.

How do you make your workplace an inspiring place to be?

Color and music are my inspirations while working. I redesigned and painted an extra bedroom my favorite colors of aqua and red. I have framed pictures of my girls modeling and I always have Pandora rockin' on my tablet.




Will you be demonstrating your craft at Arts on The Square? If so, tell us a little about it...

I may be making some necklaces while I am at the festival because it is the only thing that is semi easy to pack.  However my girls love coming with me to craft shows. So more than likely we will be chatting with people that stop by, playing games, coloring or taking picture of each other making silly faces.


Is there any other information you would like us to share/highlight about you or your work?

I love what I do and I believe that shows through in every stitch and in every seam. I work every hard to create beautiful one of a kind pieces to match every girls personality. I take a lot pride in my quality of work, customer service and appreciate every order I receive.



Follow Sew Fierce Boutique
Location: Clarks Summit, PA
Website: sewfierce.com
Facebook: sewfierce
Twitter: sewfierce



Follow Arts on the Square & ScrantonMade
Website  artsonthesquare.net
Facebook:  Arts on the Square and ScrantonMade
Twitter:  ScrantonMade


No comments:

Post a Comment