Arts on the Square Spotlight: Meet Amy DuBois of Daydreamer

Wednesday, June 12, 2013
We're thrilled to introduce you to Amy DuBois of Daydreamer.  She creates visual and tactile works of pure magic in the form of dreamcatchers. We can hardly wait to see what she dreams up for Arts on the Square

Hi Amy!

Tell us a little about your company and what inspired you to start it.

I have always been intrigued by dreamcatchers, so I decided to start making some for myself.  As soon as I finished my first one, I wanted to make more.  I was excited and overwhelmed by the endless possibilities and combinations that I could create.  The dreamcatchers became a tangible way to express myself in a way I had never done before. Soon, friends and family began to respond to these creations as well, and I began getting custom orders. 



How did you learn your craft?  Do you have formal training?

I have been creative for as long as I can remember.  The most enjoyment I have ever experienced is when I made something beautiful.  My creativity lead me to numerous things- including floral design, and eventually to pursue my BFA degree in graphic design from Marywood University.  Although I do freelance graphic design, I really enjoy using my hands to create.  Dreamcatchers are a natural fit for me- they combine my love of color and design- and certainly everything that I absorbed in school has helped to shape my vision and aesthetic.



What kind of materials do you use to make your work?  How long does each piece take to make?

I use metal hoops, suede, feathers, embroidery floss, wool, ribbon, and beads.  I am always on the hunt for something interesting to add to a dreamcatcher, like chandelier crystals or sun catchers.  Some of my favorite items to incorporate are raw crystals, like Amethyst, Citrine and Pyrite.  They are eye-catching and bring special energy to each piece.  I also like to work in customer’s personal trinkets, or jewelry they may be forgotten in a drawer somewhere.  I think it’s important to surround ourselves with things we love and to see them everyday.   Dreamcatchers, whether small or large, are very time consuming, because I incorporate a lot of detail.  Some have taken me 15 hours from start to finish. 



How would you describe your style & where do you find inspiration?

My style varies depending on each dreamcatcher, especially if it’s for a specific person.  My biggest influence when it comes to inspiration is Mother Earth- the sky, the mountains, water, air, trees, birds, the cosmos, the planets, the sun, the stars.  Each of these elements brings to mind a color, or a feeling, that I try to interpret visually.  A huge inspiration for me is Sacred Geometry, the divine equations that make up our universe.  The Flower of Life, the Torus- these patterns are mind-blowing.  Sacred Geometry is also the language of crop circles, which I am deeply drawn to.   These magnificent formations are captivating to look at and I’m inspired by their connection to the divine.  These shapes are ones that I incorporate into my dreamcatchers to remind me of what I feel is important.



What items will you be featuring at the Arts on the Square festival?

I will have a full selection of dreamcatchers in an array of styles- from earthy to sparkly to eccentric as well as whimsical dreamcatchers for babies and children that include some softer hues.  I will also have some raw crystal necklaces available.

What are your can’t live without craft room essentials?

Feathers!  I seem to find them floating everywhere, much to my cat’s delight!  I like to have a lot of yarn and embroidery floss in every color imaginable on hand as well as a ton of beads- from wooden, to glass to metal.



How do you make your workplace an inspiring place to be?

My studio is in a large sunroom that overlooks the mountains and trees.  The sun spills the warmest, most golden light into this space.  I’m amazed day after day by the sunlight and the way it transforms the space. I have filled the room with everything dreamy and beautiful- from crystals and seashells to beads and flowers.  The room itself is like an extension of my dreamcatchers. 



Will you be demonstrating your craft at Arts on The Square? If so, tell us a little about it...


I may be wrapping some hoops, but most of the detailed work in my dreamcatchers requires my attention and concentration.  Mostly I’ll be enjoying the day being surrounded by fellow creative folks!


Follow Daydreamer: 
Location:  Scranton

Follow Arts on the Square & ScrantonMade:
Facebook:  Arts on the Square and ScrantonMade
Twitter:  ScrantonMade
Instagram: @scrantonmade_blog
Pinterest: ScrantonMade

No comments:

Post a Comment