Arts on the Square Spotlight: Meet Rosalee Kicks of Sundae Matinee

Monday, July 14, 2014
There’s nothing like a crafty lady armed with whimsical creatures and a sense of humor.  We’re really excited to introduce you Rosalee Kicks from SundaeMatinee.  She’s bringing her beautiful creature creations from her lab in Philly to downtown Scranton for Arts on the Square.

Have you always been an artist?
I'd have to say that I'm more of an inventor than an artist.  It kinda started when I was a tiny person.  I have always had the knack for transforming discarded items into new found treasure.  



Do you have a background in textiles?  How did you get involved with this type of art form?

I do not have a background in textiles but have always had a love of fabric.  My mother introduced me to the world of sewing at a young age and always encouraged creativity.  She never had an issue with me dragging home a piece of dusty "junk" from the thrift store or flea market.  My mom hated throwing anything away-- she always felt that you could find a purpose for it.  I guess this rubbed off on me... I kept finding the vintage frames when I would go out thrifting and thought they were awesome!  The older picture frames have so much character and detail.  A light bulb went off inside:  I should frame fabric!  But not just any type of fabric... just like the vintage frames, I wanted to transform the fabric into something new.  Most of the creature portraits I make are made using vintage fabric remnants-- an old shirt becomes a bear... a blanket becomes a fox!  I love giving old things a new adventure!



What types of pieces are you bringing to Arts on the Square?

I will be selling creature portraits, adventure pillows, treasure chest jars, message on a bottles, creature ornaments and a sprinkling of other sweet stuff. 

Do you have a favorite piece? Best Seller?
Hmm... it’s hard to say.  I sincerely love all of my creatures that are created in my lab.  Bunny Holly is close to my heart.  He was my first creature creation and kind of started it all.  One of my best sellers is probably my Fox creature portraits. 

Tell us a little bit about your creative process?

I scour the world for frames and find most of them at flea markets, thrift stores, and old ladies homes!  As for fabric-- I have been extremely lucky to inherit much of my fabric collection from my grandmother's sister that recently passed away.  She had a ton of fabric spanning from several decades which has really brought character/personality to my creatures.  I really try to match the creature/fabric to the frame.  I feel the vintage frames really add personality to the creatures.

Process:  After giving the frames a bath, I typically will know instantly which creature I would like to see inside.  I will then cut the fabric, mount it (sewing), and then frame it in my lab in Philadelphia.    Each portrait is then giving a short bio; this provides the buyer with info about their creature and how to care for them.  



What do you like best about participating in events like AOTS?
I really enjoy finding homes for my creatures and interacting with the customers.  It is fun to hear the plans that customers have for my creatures.  I also have a satisfaction knowing that I kept a frame out of the trash... I am happy to see them be repurposed and given a new adventure:  one day they were displaying an old prom picture or a portrait of HELEN... today they hold a turtle or maybe a robot that will surely bring a smile to someone's face.

Do you have any other upcoming events?

Yesssssssssssssss!  
Aug 29/30th - Brooklyn Night Bazaar, Brooklyn, NY  bkbazaar.com
Month of September - South Philly Comics, Philadelphia, PA  facebook.com/pages/South-Philly-Comics 

Month of October - Nice Things Handmade - Philadelphia, PA  facebook.com/nicethingshandmade
Nov 5th - Urban Craft Fest, Reading, PA urbancraftfest.com
Dec 6th - IndieMade Craft Market, Allentown, PA  indiemadecraftmarket.com


Is there anything else you would like our readers to know?
Sundae Matinee is very excited about the show... and hopes to see you there!  

Follow Sundae Matinee:
Instagram: @sundaematinee

No comments:

Post a Comment