Arts on the Square Spotlight: Meet Timmy Walsh of Camera For A Cure and TRW Art

Tuesday, June 18, 2013
We’re so moved by the determination and vision of young artist Timmy Walsh who started Camera for a Cure and TRW Art when he was only 5 years old!  He uses photography to raise funds for the Lung Cancer Alliance and awareness for the disease. We are honored and proud that he will be a part of Arts on the Square.

Hi Timmy!

Tell us a little about Camera for a Cure and the inspiration behind it. 

I started Camerafor a Cure at the age of 5 in 2008, when my aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer.  I wanted to do something, to help her and others affected with the disease.  I discussed the idea of selling my photos with my parents.  I wanted my dad to build me a stand, like a lemonade stand.  They said that it wouldn't work out on my street.  I was determined and decided to have a sale/show out of my home.  We made formal invitations and raised over $300.  The Scranton Times did an article on me.  After that time, people started calling to donate.  Dan Brown, owner of Parasene, offered to create a website for us and helped create the name, Camera For A Cure.  Businesses started calling us to hold shows at their places.  Camera For A Cure quickly spread.  I started doing First Friday Scranton when I was six.  I then started doing shows in other towns.  We joined forces with Lung Cancer Alliance after meeting a lung cancer patient and advocate during a show at Grove Media.  We have been raising funds and awareness, traveled to Washington DC and have made a difference with the passing of the Recalcitrant Cancer Research Act.  




How did you learn your craft?    

I learned how to take great pictures from my mom.  We started taking pictures together when I was 3 or 4 years old.  I started with a VTech camera & moved up to the Nikon.



How would you describe your style & where do you find inspiration? 

My style would be one of its own. I take pictures of things most people pass by.   My inspiration for my Camera For A Cure is my aunt.  When she was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2008, we quickly realized how underfunded and how little awareness there is for lung cancer.  There is a stigma attached to it, because of smoking.  My aunt's lung cancer was not caused by smoking or chemicals.  She has a mutant gene, just like any other cancer.



What will you be featuring at the Arts on the Square festival? 

 I will be featuring great photos, awareness bracelets, ribbon lollipops, along with information on lung cancer, Lung Cancer Alliance and our new support groups.



How do you find inspiration? 

 My inspiration for each photo is different.  I see a color or a texture, something different and interesting and want to capture it.



Is there any other information you would like us to highlight about you or your work? 

 All funds raised during my Camera For A Cure shows are donated to Lung Cancer Alliance.  We recently opened a LCA PA Chapter.  My TRW Art shows help fund my schooling.  I offer photos to professional offices and private homes.  My art can be seen in Dr. Karam's office, Lackawanna Ave., Scranton.



Special Note from Timmy Walsh:

There is little awareness related to lung cancer.  Lung cancer is the leading cancer killer.  It kills more than prostate, breast, and pancreatic cancer, COMBINED!  It kills more women than all female cancer combined, INCLUDING breast cancer.  Lung cancer is the 2nd leading killer, behind heart disease.  Not cancer, LUNG CANCER!  The simple truth is, if you have lungs, you can get lung cancer.  It does not discriminate.  There are toddlers with lung cancer, children, and those of all ages.  The life expectancy for lung cancer, after diagnosis, is five years!  Most die within the first few months or weeks of diagnosis.  Low level radiation CT scans can help catch lung cancer in its early stages.  However, it is not covered by most insurances.  Viewmont Medical is offering CT scans for lung cancer for $150 without insurance.

Follow Camera For a Cure & TRW Art:
Location: Olyphant, PA
Website:  cameraforacure.com
Instagram:  @T1mmyWalsh
Twitter:  @cameraforacure

Follow Arts on the Square & ScrantonMade:
Facebook:  Arts on the Square and ScrantonMade
Twitter:  ScrantonMade
Instagram: @scrantonmade_blog
Pinterest: ScrantonMade
Website  artsonthesquare.net

No comments:

Post a Comment