HOTS Spotlight: Get to Know Mount Pleasant Herbary

Sunday, November 23, 2014
There is nothing quite like a luxurious handmade body product. They make the best holiday gifts! We're so excited to have Mount Pleasant Herbary vending at Holiday on the Square!

Tell us about Mount Pleasant Herbary and what you do…
My name is Gudrun, and I am the founder of Mount Pleasant Herbary. I learned a lot about growing herbs and their beneficial properties from my mother, who is an active gardener. After moving from Germany to the US in 2002, I desperately missed the wide selection of herbal tea blends I could choose from in my home country - so I started growing my own. My friends loved my teas and wanted more - that's how Mount Pleasant Herbary came to life in 2009. Shortly after I added botanical soaps, salves and Buckwheat pillows that can be heated up in the microwave. Creating natural, nourishing herbal products is truly what I love to do, and I believe your senses will notice the effort, creativity and love I put into my creations.

90% of all herbs used in my products are grown in the Mount Pleasant Herbary Garden without the use of herbicides or pesticides. Lavender buds for sachets and the Buckwheat pillows are purchased from organic suppliers.



What kinds of products do you create and sell?
My best seller is the botanical soap. It is a cold process soap that is vegan (the base is olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter & castor oil), and made with essential oils only (with the exception of coffee soap), and herbs from the Mount Pleasant Herbary Garden. All soaps are made with botanical "chunks": dried herbs are grinded to powder and added to triple milled soap. After hardening, the herb infused soap will be cut into stripes and added to a fresh batch of soap (while it is still liquid). This process is gentle on the herbs and keeps their beneficial properties intact.

One day I made a batch of soap that was not very nice looking, yet it was perfectly fine soap. I remembered a felting class I had taken years ago and turned the ugly looking soap into a batch of felted soap. My customers loved it, and so the felted soap became a part of my product line. (I am not waiting for any more for a batch of soap that looks ugly though - I purposely make soap that has the same high quality vegan ingredients but is slightly smaller).

As I mentioned before, I also sell Buckwheat pillows in different sizes: There are neck pillows (great for tense muscles in your shoulder and neck area), eye pillows (relaxing after the end of a yoga session) and BooBoo pillows (little pillows that can be stored in the freezer until a child needs this comforting and soothing touch in form of a little pillow).

Not too long ago I also started making herbal salves: Calendula salve, Plantain salve, Baby salve, Bug repellent and lip balms.



What will you be featuring at Arts on the Square?
I will bring some molded soaps with me that make great gifts for the holidays. There will be fairies, star and tree shaped soaps, soaps that say "joy" and teddy bear soaps for kids.
I also just created a new felted soap for men. It is made with a darker color and scented with essential bay rum, vetiver and cedar oil. Since felted soap is perfect for scrubbing off garden dirt, paint, grease, etc. from your hands, it will be a perfect gift for the handyman in your life.

There will also be gift packages available in all different price ranges, nicely decorated with ribbons pine cones.




Where else can our readers find your products during this holiday season?
I will be selling my items at local Farmer's Markets (Cooperage in Honesdale PA and Callicoon NY) and at Holiday Shows in the area (Scranton Cultural Center on November 30th and Cooperage in Honesdale on Dec. 14th). 



Are you products sold in stores?
There are a few local stores that carry my items, like Milkweed in Honesdale, Callicoon Trading Co. in Callicoon NY, Heirloom Acres in Narrowsburg NY. I am currently working on expanding my wholesale partnerships.


Tell us about the classes you teach.  What do you have coming up?
I am planning on hosting some classes after the holidays when everything calms down a bit. I am thinking of teaching several classes about making your own creams and moisturizers, deodorant, lip balms and other body products. Then I would like to teach a class about making your own herbal cleaning products. Time and Places still need to be confirmed, so make sure you like MPH on Facebook or sign up at my booth with your email address in order to receive updated information.

Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
What I love most about what I am doing is the contrast between a quiet day at home, harvesting herbs or making a fresh batch of soap in my kitchen, and then the hustle and bustle that comes with an event like "Art on the Square". Meeting my customers who appreciate the efforts and love I put into my products, is the reason why I keep reloading  my car over and over again.

Follow Mount Pleasant Herbary

No comments:

Post a Comment